Monday, October 18, 2021

Venom 2

I don't want to say all but I think it is safe to say most of the psychopaths are created by their traumatizing childhoods. In the case of movies, these are the main villains. In this movie, the main villain was locked up in a place for 'special' children when he was just a child. The traumatic events of that place drove him insane over time. As he did pretty bad things as an adult too, he was then locked up in prison. 


The main villain somehow gets tissue from Venom and becomes a host for a variant of Venom (or, should I say descendent of?). It is not clear how reproduction of lives in Venom's planet happens. However, somehow this villain becomes what he calls himself Carnage. He is much more disgusting than Venom, or the other symbiotes from the first Venom movie. In fact, I don't even think Venom looks disgusting. 

As I have been mentioning ever since the beginning of my posts on this blog, I am a fan of action but not a fan of disgusting images. To reflect how much of a psycho serial killer the main villain is and also to fulfill the name Carnage, I guess the film makers found it imperative to make this Carnage guy look disgusting enough. But the question is...what did this add to the movie? I don't think it was necessary to go so far. 


The movie spends a lot of time on the back story of this villain and it is a good story too but it is not very well-established. They also spent lots of time on his lost lover, but it didn't have a big role in the story ending so I don't think it was that much necessary---unless the character will come back in a later movie. Since they spent so much time on all of these other things, there wasn't much of (or enough of) Venom-Eddie interaction. 

Apparently, from the comments on the first movie, the film makers understood that the audience enjoyed Venom-Eddie interactions very much and wanted more of it in the future Venom movies. Even though they thought they understood what we meant, that's not what they did. What they did was to make them fight each other---so not that much talking either. I don't know about others but what I was looking for was having them converse with each other in contexts of day-to-day activities. Tom Hardy does a great job in being Eddie Brock and in being Venom. So I wish there were more of him in the movie. (Note: it is possible that there was enough of him in the movie but I am the one who can't get enough of him.) 


What I think of this movie: I guess the best part of this movie was the after-credit scene. This is like how the best part of my 6-month stay in Paris was that I went to visit Belgium. I guess it is a bit of a spoiler but I will try to keep it brief. In the after-credit scene you see some connections to Marvel Cinematic Universe. It a known fact that this movie was made by Sony pictures in association with Marvel Entertainment, so it's not like I gave away something that wasn't known. 

The message I get from this movie is "Don't abuse children as it may turn them into psycho serial killers." It is possible that it wasn't their intent to give this message in the movie, but this is what the movie comes down to in my mind.


Before I close, I would like to compare this movie with the first Venom movie. I think the first one was better because the story was better established. I wonder if the main reason for this is the shorter length of the second movie---it is only 15 minutes shorter but I guess you could say a lot in images in 15 minutes. Also, I like the soundtrack of the first Venom movie more. Perhaps the third Venom movie will be better than the first two. I guess we'll have to wait a couple of years to see that.


I give 6/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment