Monday, April 10, 2023

Nobody

The one and only reason I decided to watch this movie (and did watch it) is Bob Odenkirk---well, I also checked out the trailer before watching. You may remember Bob Odenkirk from the series Breaking Bad (or Better Call Saul). He was Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad. If you haven't seen Breaking Bad, it's not the end of the world, but it is a good show so you might want to watch it at some point. I guess its popular era has long ended and perhaps it wouldn't struck an audience as strongly as it did 10 years ago (because times are a bit different now) but I'd still say it's worth a shot. Now, after seeing (and liking) Breaking Bad, it's hard not to watch Better Call Saul. Interestingly enough, Bob Odenkirk is not necessarily Saul Goodman in that show but I quite like his character in that show too. 


There aren't many shows/movies I've seen Bob Odenkirk. Another movie I know he was in is Little Women. You can tell the movie is mostly about the women and not the men, so his scenes weren't very long in that movie. Still, his acting was very good. Another tv series I've seen him in is The Office (US). He was a guest in one of the episodes where Pam went to interview at another office and Bob Odenkirk's character was just like Michael Scott---it was really funny. 


Continuing with Bob Odenkirk (as I don't really know any of the other cast members in this movie), I would like to mention that he is also one of the producers of this movie. I think of this as a good thing. Usually, if the main star(s) of the movie are also among the producers team, I think it affects the production in a positive way. I am not in the film industry but I believe that if the main actor is also one of the producers they can also have some say on the script and, also, it means they are actually where they want to be and they are taking this role more excitedly, which in turn, produces a better quality movie.


When I was watching the movie, I was actually surprised as I discovered the character of Bob Odenkirk. Somehow, I am used to seeing him not as the "cool guy" in a given show/movie. He was, in this movie, a cool one. The beginning of this movie reminded me of the beginning of the first John Wick movie. If you watch the movie, maybe you'll see it too. Basically, the motive/reason for all the action to start is similar, although Bob Odenkirk's character still has his wife (alive). Anyone who knows me well knows that I really like action thrillers. But there has to be a meaningful story lying underneath all that action, otherwise I don't like it. So, for example, I like the first John Wick movie but not really the third one (as I couldn't see what was the important meaning for all that fighting). Maybe I will write a review about the latest John Wick movie (the 4th one) later and elaborate on it then.

Speaking of John Wick, as it turns out, Nobody and John Wick were produced by the same production company (although distributed by different companies). They even talked about a cross-over, but it'll probably be something small. We'll see what happens. I guess it might be really exciting for Bob Odenkirk to have a possibility of having a scene with Keanu Reeves. 


If someone is a nobody, this implies that this person is somehow not important and not very well known. This movie is called Nobody and confirming its name, it didn't get wide reception---unfortunately. It was scheduled to be released in 2020 but then because of the pandemic it got delayed....and then people weren't really going to the theatre still back then. Plus, a lot of people had already lost their habit of going to the theatres and most probably still didn't start the habit again to this day (e.g. I personally had rented it and watched it at home). So I think this movie didn't get as much credit/likes as it deserved because of the pandemic. Even though I think the movie didn't get as much as it deserved, its reviews were good enough that they are making a sequel. This is good news! I will be waiting for its release, which will probably be in 2024 at the earliest. 


I grew to like Bob Odenkirk more and more recently. He is a good actor and continues to do good work. I guess I started liking him more after I heard he had a heart attack on set of Better Call Saul (he already got better and went back to set too---this was in 2022). I know it doesn't exactly make sense to like an actor (or his works) for this reason, but obviously this is not the only reason. I think it's only human if you become more sensitive towards someone who recently had a near-death experience. All that is to say, I will probably be following his future works as well. Well, I didn't actually finish watching Better Call Saul. I think I am putting it off because I know it's good and I don't want it to end, and I want to watch it when I am mentally prepared to watch it.


Coming back to this movie, if you appreciate action movies where the action doesn't happen for the sake of only killing and seeing blood but actually there is a meaningful story behind that sets the action sequence, then I believe you will also like this movie. 


I give 7/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment